Thursday, December 07, 2006

My life in Stefan Voda

Out with the old... my backyard and toilet in Milesti Mici

and in with the new... My new family in the kitchen at home....

I feel compelled to get this entry done because it is really the close of the first phase of my service here... really once the Thanksgiving weekend was done I physically began to call my new home "home". I live a 25 minute walk away from work. Near as I can tell I live on the southern side of town. Again, I view the moon out my bedroom window.. I am thankful for that! I live with Nadia and Ion I think they are in their forties... they have a daughter age 24 and a son 20 ish and little Cristian who is the only child to live there currently. He is six and attends the Gradinita (Kindergarten). Nadia works all day 6 or 7 days a week at a frigid hardware store and Ion is a retired police officer and now works as a chauffer nearly full time. It takes many sources of income to keep a household rolling here. Salaries are very low, jobs are hard to come by and basics are expensive considering their salaries. A large number of the young and able people although highly educated, are living abroad making money for their families. It is a huge problem... I think about what that means to a society when the best and brightest members have limited opportunities for which to stay. Anyway... My accomodations are very nice... Nadia keeps the house extremely clean... she is careful about food preparation and purchase... she likes sweets just like me. My bedroom is very comfortable and pretty! Here is a pix

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The web is simply amazing. My name is Mike Colan and i lived a block down from you with the Didencos and Christian is actually my godson. I worked witn Vitalie Rusanovschi from 2000-2002 and helped to start the youth internet computer center and a baseball team. How are the didencos? E-mail me at moldovamichael@yahoo.com. You live with a wonderful and generous family and I know that commute will keep you in shape!