Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Rules Rules

Last night while finally getting a chance to connect to the internet on my family’s computer, my Elena was playing around with my digital camera and hit the power strip to the computer (which sits soooo conveniently in the doorway) and I was instantly disconnected. She then told me that we can only go online once daily. I have yet to figure out if that is a village rule or a household rule. One way or another, I am very limited to my access to you. So I am writing on Microsoft Word and will cut and paste during that precious internet time!

Yesterday I thought I was going to get voted off the island. My language lessons brought much frustration! Instead of crying right then and there Andrea and I were reprimanded for laughing. (Don’t tell Diane Tripp!!!) We promptly explained to our profesor de limba romana that if we did not laugh, we would cry. He did not really care. He is 23 and getting married the day after tomorrow, so he is all business and we’re hoping to loosen him up once the wedding is over! His name is pronounced ee juan. (Jon). Actually he is sooo sweet. Anyway…. Today was mult bine and maybe there is a chance that they’ll keep me around long enough to do some damage in another village at a later date. We’ll see.

We feel like kindergarteners… and I guess we are. We learned today the names for grandmother, grandfather, mother in law etc… One of the voluntari in our group, Chris is worried that his “host” sister who is two and learning to speak is going to run circles around him in no time and he is probably right. I have decided to stop speaking to Stefan and Elena and concentrate on communicating with mama Rodina. She knows NO English. We sit at the table over tea and laugh because neither of us knows what the other is saying. I’m usually armed with my dictionary and we generally get something figured out. She is a nurse and works in a neurological pediatric unit. She often practices language with me at the kitchen table. She always wants to help me with my homework! Sergiu works as a supervisor in the local vineyard. He seems very patient and friendly, although I’ve only been able to communicate with him a few times.

Life is calm and slow here. I walk home from school with my backpack on (thank you Megan II) and I just look around at the homes – they are all decorated very beautifully with stucco and brick and stone and cement. Elena says I’ll watch Desparate Housewives with her when the new season starts. I guess that’s incentive enough to keep up the language studies!

Tomorrow we will go to Ialoveni… (Yah lo vein) and meet with the other 36 voluntari from our group. It is called a hub site day. Twice weekly we jump on the unbelieveably crowded and dangerous? Bus to Ialoveni. It is there that we come together as a group and learn the technical portion of our jobs. On the other days, I walk through the village past the goats and chickens and millions of dogs to the home of our profesoara for language and cross cultural training. The animals generally don’t seem to mind, but the first billy goat stared me down a bit. I thought maybe he could smell americanca on me.

This is a crazy undertaking, but I am still convinced that it is the right move for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you should really take a picture of a goat for me!( I am actually serious!!) It sounds like things are going well! I am glad to hear it! I know how you feel with the language barrier! IT will get better! Keep well and talk to you soon!
- ANJA