Monday, September 18, 2006

let the games begin!

Hey! I have so little time with the internet, that I have decided that the only way to really keep in touch right now is through this blog. Please feel free to leave comments or e mail me so I can write back!! here is the group getting to leave Philly for Moldova.. having no idea what the adventure will bring!


Some highlights so far...

The bus that took us from the capital (Chisinau) could not navigate the streets directly to my house, so all the volunteers and others got off the bus to help me bring my luggage - it was hilarious!!! Eight people walking down these incredibly crumbly streets pulling my red luggage! It reminded me of Romancing the stone!!!

Anyway... I got to my casa and my family consists of a mom and dad Rodica and Sergiu -35 years old. The children Shtefan (pronunciation) 12 and Yelena (15) are sweet as brinza placenta! And they speak fluent English and are both VERY smart!!! They have taken me in as a brand new toy or maybe a family pet!!!! Stefan is at my side keeping me on task every minute that I'm home (and not taking a nap). "Renell sit here and watch tv with me!" Renell here are your shoes" "Renell take a picture for your father" ..... because I was telling him my dad builds houses and I wanted to get a picture of the bathroom ceiling before they put tiles on it..." "Renell.. time to take a shower!!!! " (ugh shower they call it... plastic tub for a sponge bath...) Stefan always gets the hot water for me... The good news is that the village that I am in (pronounced Milleshtee meech) has a new initiative to get water to everyone's home. Sergiu is working hard and has remodeled the bathroom with new ceramic tile, pedestal sink and NEW TOAlata!!!!! We won't be able to use if for a month or two, though. So for now when I wake up first thing in the morning and have to pee... it is out to the backyard outhouse where I rouse the chickens and the rabbits that are currently being fattened for dining... not really liking that yet very very very smelly!

When Rodica and I try to communicate we usually quickly reach an impasse and it has been a joke that she calls ..... "stefan" and he comes running to help! Last night I asked him what the weather will be tomorrow so I knew what to wear - Stefan looked at me like I was crazy and said "When you wake up you open the door and look out and then you will know!"

Elena told me that she has been wanting a volunteer for many years as her friends have had one, but there is a waiting list. They were so excited to get the opportunity but she wanted a boy and not an older lady... she said now that she knows me I am not the old woman she was thinking and my personality is just like "Daniel" the boy who she was thinking of that lived at her friends house and she already loves me. She gave up her room for me and it is Foarte Bune. (Very good@) That is all I say in Romanian so far!

Speaking of that.. today is my birthday! My family brought in two balloons and a cake with one candle (foarte buna) and they sang happy birthday in English and gave me a clock for my room! Some of the volunteers in Milesti Mici want to try to find a bar to go to tonight to celebrate. So it comes and goes... I have been having a hard time getting to sleep... listening to music, reading and practicing Romanian conversation in my head. I am enjoying my time in my room, but Stefan and Elena miss me... pretty soon the novelty will wear off!

The very good news is that education is important here... seems it is a leftover attitude from the soviet era - but most students need to leave the country to get employment.

Today was my "first day of school" and I walked to the bus stop all by myself!!! In many ways it is like living life all over again! I met two big goats on the way to the bus and was just hoping they wouldn't smell my americanca and butt me or something. WhenI mentioned the goats to another volunteer, they did what they always do.... laugh at my pronunciation!!! Goat....ha ha ha!!! They give me crap about being from Minn neh SO ta 'cause they think my accent is soooo pronounced!

Well... I think that is it for now... I am not especially fond of the food, but it is good, just a little different and my stomach is rather picky. I still have tootsie rolls and licorice left, so all is well! I had a great mushroom salad at a birthday party last night. Always serve tomatoes and bread - the family gatherings remind me of the Iron Range so I feel right at home! The same food is served over and over until it's gone... everything is conserved here. Miss you and would love to hear from you!! OH my address: This is PC Headquarters in the capital.. I will be there often so send mail!!!!!

Renell Pettinelli PCT
Corpul Pacii
Stre. Grigore Ureche 12
2001 Chisinau
Republica Moldova

Here is how you call me the country...remember the time is 7 hours later here.

011 373 268 plus 5 digit number

5 digit number is 68 -7 -85 for my home...
If you call me and they don't understand ask for Steven!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey mom well it is fun to hear of your adventures. Im so happy to see it sounds like you are having a great time! Its just so fun these things. Keep the bloggs comming! Now I can say I really miss you. These past few days I cant tell you how many times I picked up the phone to call you and then realize I cant. Love you! -Kelli

Anonymous said...

PS. dont worry when I realized I couldnt call you I called Denise. She may be a bit lonely but has been keeping busy and even if we miss you we're really happy and proud of you!