Friday, October 13, 2006

Va fi cum va fi

IT IS AS IT SHOULD BE


Today is not only Friday the 13th but it is officially one month in country... things are beginning to settle down a bit. Today I had my first language assessment. It was painful to listen to myself fumble through the description of Kaye Kelli and Michael, their ages, occupations, and names... Conjugation does not come easily, so my old mind is doing overtime. I feel sorry for the poor assessors who have to listen to each of us... I am glad that is behind me,

This weekend comes the next hurdle. I have received my permanent assignment. For the next two years I am slated to work with an organization called MUZA. Their focus is to develop student leaders ages 12-17 throughout the Stefan Voda region via intellectual and creative means! I will live in the regional center ( population 7.000) which probably means access to internet, indoor toilets (just in time for the impending winter snows!!!) and running water.

Although I must tell you that it was very exciting to arrive at home yesterday and my "sister" had a big surpize for me... Running water!!!! Tate meu Sergiu needs to get a part to get the hot water heater hooked up so for now only cold... but it is nice especially for brushing teeth in the morning... As usual I am always running late... I am driving mama mea Rodica CRAZY!!!! Actually it will be very sad for all of us when I have to move on... we enjoy each other very much!

So... from Corpul Pachii (Peace Corps) I have received my assignment, three families from which to choose and the name of my counterpart in Stefan Voda. It is now my responsibility to get on a bus first to Chisinau (the capital) and then a two hour bus ride from the Central Bus Station in Chisinau to Stefan Voda... Hopefully I will get off at the right stop and my counterpart will be there waiting for me... she speaks no English so that puts the pressure on me!!! I can always resort to telling her what color my shoes are! My conversation is quite limited... fruit, vegetables, colors, and names of public buildings! I will stay one night with each host family and then choose the one which I would like to stay for the next 6 months. After that I am free to choose my own housing. None of them speak any English, so once again... oh momma!!!

It was a kick when I brought the three choices of families out to the kitchen table for my mom and her crazy sister. They were jibbering away in Romanian and every so often I'd catch a word... usually related to someone's line of work or the funny names of the kids... they decided for me that I should live with the 55 year old female doctor (doctors don't make much here but they are very respected... I think bus drivers might make more money!!!!). She has a 16 year old son and lives in her house with all of the amenities. The other options are a priest and his wife and 3 children but they live in a "bloc" - some sort of apartment, I guess. The third choice is a young family with a 5 and 12 year old. He is a chauffer and she works at a magazin. I will be in Stefan Voda until Tuesday. I am trying to go in without prejudice.

It was rare, but there is an agricultural volunteer from my group also in the same town. I am sure we will lean on one another from time to time.

If you look at the shape of Moldova it looks a bit like a boot pointing west... I will be in the heel of that boot.. Only 1 hour from the Black sea resorts and beaches!!!!! I have to travel through Ukraine to get there, but I understand they do not have any visa requirements, so it is easy to do so. I hope that will be a perk for me.

I am excited to finish out the training, be sworn in as an official volunteer and start my work!

Feel free to leave comments and/or write me at binksink@gmail.com

2 comments:

Nate said...

How exciting, I am so proud and happy for you!!! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Renell, They have updated some of the school's filters on email so am just catching up with some of your stories and email now (Oct 24). Sorry I missed Kaye's b/day but I sent her belated hello. Your adventures sound great...more later...Bonnie